Re: [TenTec] Scout...the VW bug of radios

To: <ARDUJENSKI@aol.com>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scout...the VW bug of radios
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 16:18:03 -0500
Alan, Well said comparison of Scout to VW!

Thanks Alan, for your endorsement of my Scout remarks.  You, too, have
posted great information on both the Scout and Antennas you have used.

Some Scouts apparently have some audio hiss that thankfully, mine has not
exhibited when used with my high impedance magnetic 50's era headphones.

It appears that using communications phones of 2000 ohms impedance is all
one needs, to have hiss free audio.  I was lucky some years back to acquire
NOS military higher impedance magnetic phones which do not require me to
turn up the Scout audio pot hardly at all.  This makes the audio stage
operate in its lowest noise region.  Since most Scouts are getting some
years on them, it may be time for those having hiss to try replacing
electrolytics in the audio chain and see if new filters improve the audio.

I had a newer Ten Tec where a capacitor gave out, with lots fewer hours on
it than my Scout.  It is hard to accept, but electrolytics in any rig, just
are not there for as long as the rest of the rig will last.

Stuart
K5KVH