Re: [TenTec] Scout

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scout
From: w8au@sssnet.com
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:48:17 -0400
At 12:14 PM 5/23/06, Randy Russe3ll wrote:
>how does the rcvr do in the CW mode?  Is it as
>good as a middle of the road rcvr like the K1 for
>instance?  How does it's rcvr compare to say, a IC
>703, 847 mk 11, or one of the other low end
>semi-portable all banders?

Mostly subjective, but the Scout RX is very good.  The adjustable
xtal filter works well.  AGC is good.  Compared to the IC-706/703
you can't get the AGC into a "super compressed" mode where
it's painful to listen to... the simplicity is a benefit, especially
mobile.

I would like a notch filter and maybe an input attenuator for when
it's used at home with a bigger antenna, but to quote Jack, K4JU,
(president) from 13 years ago or so.... "what do you want for
$495?"  (original price) :-)  (Jack is very PRACTICAL, no doubt about it!)

AND.... the QSK is just superb!

>I would consider one for cw but heard somewhere rcvr
>is a little pale.

Not at all... see above.

>But for the money of a used one,
>it's only the price of a couple good mono bander kits.
>  Worth a look.

I'll say.....

Perry  w8au   (CW mobile 13 years now with one of the original Scouts)