[TenTec] Omni-VI+ Phase Noise and INRAD roofing filter mod?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Omni-VI+ Phase Noise and INRAD roofing filter mod?
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 08:47:24 -0400

         More data from:

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

Sherwood has been making these measurements
consistently over many years:

Transceiver     10 kHz LO Noise IMD 20 kHz      IMD 2 kHz
Orion                   -130            96              93
Corsair         -132            93              79 (@ 3 kHz)
Omni VI+                -137            97              80

where LO Noise = Phase Noise

Again, I would expect an properly modified Omni VI to
have equivalent IMD performance as Orion at 2 kHz.

         Here's another comparison by Inrad of Omni's
IMD using stock, 600 and 2400 Hz roofing filters:

http://www.qth.com/inrad/kits.htm#tentec

Spacing         OEM      600 Hz filter  2400Hz filter
2 kHz           79 dB   94 dB           85.5 dB
5 kHz           82.5    97              95.5
10 kHz  86.5    98              96.5
20 kHz  95      97.5            97.5

         These measurements cannot necessarily be
compared directly (i.e. RSGB vs Sherwood vs Inrad)
because they use different spacings, measurement
methodologies, equipment and testers.  However,
they are probably internally consistent within normal
sample and measurement errors.  From what I see
and know about the Inrad mod, I would probably
choose a 600 Hz Inrad modified Omni over the
Corsair for CW operation.  Remember however
that the 600 Hz filter will not be inline when you use
Omni on SSB!

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV