[TenTec] 9420 Problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 9420 Problem
From: "Christian von Wechmar" <cbvw@telkomsa.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 11:10:30 +0200
Hi Everyone,

I received a 9420 PSU two days ago. If my information is correct, it stems
from a Halliburton operation in Gabon. I have been using the matching
Hercules II amp (with batteries) for more than a year now, and am very
happy. Had to wait for an opportunity to ship the PSU cheaply, as the usual
freight charges were too hefty.

Anyway, the 9420 does not work. When plugged into my Herc, and the amp is
switched on, it (amp) powers up for about three seconds, and then shuts
down. The meter stays lit however. I tested the PSU while unplugged from the
amp. When shorting pins 3 and 6 on the 12-pin plug, the same happens.
Shorting pins 1 and 2 on the 4-pin plug reveals the same issue. 14.5 Volts
for about 3 seconds, and then nothing. I measured the V at the rectifiers,
and it appears that they only have power for half a second or so. It is
apparently long enough to charge the large caps with 14+V.

It traveled by air from Gabon to London to Cape Town, and had two bent
heat-sink fins. It definitely got bashed along the way, or in its previous
life. I opened it, cleaned it, inspected it closely, but cannot find any
obvious problem.

I'll order the manual from TT on Monday, but experience has shown that it
will take about 3 weeks to arrive here in ZS. It would be nice to use the
PSU before then. Anyone have an idea/solution/recommendation for me to try
in the meanwhile?

TU ES 73
Chris ZS1DX