Re: [TenTec] Omni 6+ on it's way

To: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6+ on it's way
From: wo8l@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 21:51:28 -0400
I have both an OMNI VI Plus and a Kenwood 570.

When it comes to adjacent signals, forget it.  The 570 is far inferior to the
Ten Tec.

When it comes to separating close signals, the OMNI is totally better.

The Kenwood employs filtering mostly at the AF level, not the IF.  In addition,
the receiver isn't as good to begin with.  The Kenwood has a very noisy
receiver due to the IF conversion frequencies used to enable the general
coverage capability.  Lots of static on the Kenwood.

Actually, for everything that's been said and studied, I'll take my Alinco DX
70 receiver over the 570 when it comes to noise.  The filtering is superior on
the 570 when compared to the Alinco, which has no filtering to speak of, but
the Alinco is my choice when it comes to noise.  My 570...and everyone I've
ever heard...is a popcorn machine.

The 570 is noisy and the DSP on SSB in the 570 sounds like Donald Duck.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Kenwood.  It's convenient when the
bands are hot.  But the OMNI is waaaay superior in separating signals.  It's a
no brainer.

73s,

Rick
WO8L