Re: [TenTec] AM, was "Just noticed ..."

To: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] AM, was "Just noticed ..."
From: joel hallas <jrhallas@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 22:06:17 -0400
Ken,

I guess it depends on what you assume about the way the signal power is
generated. You assume that the sideband power will be twice as high as
the power in each sideband of a DSB-AM signal. I assumed that the signal
power in the remaining sideband would be the same as it was in the
DSB-AM case, that is that the DSB-AM signal was generated at 100%
modulation and then one sideband was loped off by the filter. Thus the
noise power (by going from 6 kHz to 3 kHz BW) and signal (sideband)
power are both cut in half so the SNR remains the same.

I guess if the transmitter were peak power limited, you could increase
the remaining sideband power by a factor of two and keep the same
carrier, but I suspect that the receiver would have some problems
demodulating without distortion.

Regards, Joel