Re: [TenTec] Using Airpax breaker

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using Airpax breaker
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <Mike_N4NT@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:33:05 -0400
I quote from the Corsair II manual, Page 2-1, paragraph 2.
"For battery operation, as well as operation with any power source other
than a TEN-TEC power supply, it is recommended that a cable of at least 12
gauge conductors be run directly from the battery or power source to the
transceiver through a circuit breaker of sufficient rating, such as Model
1140.  DO NOT depend on a fuse for protection since its reaction time is too
slow." (emphasis in original).
______________________

My Omni manual, page 1-2, paragraph 1 reads as follows:
"When operating the OMNI fixed, portable, or mobile with an external power
supply or any ource other than a TEN-TEC power supply, the protective
circuitry for the final amplifier, being in the TEN-TEC ac power supplies,
is not present.  In order to protect the final amplifier, it is necessary to
limit any over-current what may be caused by excessive drive or improper
antenna matching.  This may be accomplished by inserting TEN-TEC Model 1140
Circuit Breaker in series with the twelve volt supply line.  The circuit
breaker will also function as an external on/off switch."

Further in the Omni manual on page 2-12 in section 3, Protective Circuitry
and ALC, after explaining that the ALC is not sufficient to protect the
output transistors from excessive power, the following sentence appears:
"To absolutely protect the system, we add the current limiting circuitry to
the power supply, or a fast acting magnetic circuit breaker in the dc supply
line."
______________________

In the data sheet for the TEN-TEC Model 1140 Magnetic Circuit Breaker is the
following:
(the 1140) "is a special fast-acting magnetic circuit breaker which trips
between 10 and 20 milliseconds, typically.

In the section of same data sheet, under "Specifications" appear:
Model: 1140         Operating Rating: 18 amps        Trip Rating: 24.9 amps

Because of your apparent facility with Google, please find and link all of
us to specifications for ANY fuse which will operate at 18 DC amps and trip
at 24.9 DC amps in 10 to 20 milliseconds or less.  We await your reply.

Regards,
Mike N4NT