[TenTec] Ten Rec Omni6+ problems

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Rec Omni6+ problems
From: "F.G.Robertson" <F.G.Robertson@open.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 08:48:45 +0100
Hi, our radio club has an Omni6+ (upgraded Omni6) as its main HF transceiver.
We have a couple of problems with it and would much appreciate some advice.

1) The transmitted SSB signal sounds muffled and gritty/distorted, and there is
background noise even with the mic gain set to zero, so I suspect the problem
is after the audio stages.  I haven't measured it yet, but I'd guess the noise
is 30dB below full power transmitted audio, both LSB and USB.  SSB sounds ok on
receive.  Also the carrier balance pots are very critical and do not stay
balanced long term.  I've set the carrier oscillators as per the manual.

2) When receiving strong CW signals, say s9+20 or 30, the CW characters become
choppy and distorted, although the tone is fine.  Switching in the RF
attenuator fixes this except on very strong signals.  I haven't heard this
mentioned before so I assume it's a fault on our radio, either an alignment or
component failure.

TIA, Fraser G4BJM