Re: [TenTec] Using Airpax breaker

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using Airpax breaker
From: Rideout Family <wa6ipd@dslextreme.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 16:58:24 -0700
Marsh, the reason fuses are required with motors is the short circuit
current or AIC (ampere interrupting capacity).  It would not be unusual
for a three phase 40hp motor to fail and have a short circuit of 100,000
amperes.  The maximum rating of circuit breakers is 50,000 AIC so the
breaker will explode.  Fuses for 40hp motors would be required to have
ratings of 250,000 AIC.  Next time you visit Home Depot check their
fuses you will find several price ranges which are related to the AIC.
As for 400hp motors they sometimes use what looks like a circuit breaker
but is only a disconnect and an integral part of the unit is a fuse.
All large motors are protected by fuses.

Best

Art