Re: [TenTec] 6N2 observations

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 6N2 observations
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:59:15 -0500
On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 07:46 -0400, Scott Harwood wrote:
> I recently acquired a 6N2 and agree with your observations, but I also noted
> that the receiver sensitivity on two meters was  low compared to my other
> ricebox receivers.  I sent it back to Ten-Tec for alignment.  They returned
> the rig saying the rx sensitivity was within specs.  I now use it with a
> Mirage preamp/amplifier and am very happy with the little rig.
>
> Scott K4VWK

The 6N2 should have a quiet receiver. Its MDS specification is 10 dB
poorer than a rice box on 2m and 2m rice boxes are at least 10 dB poorer
than 2m atmospheric noise in mid USA and more than 10 dB poorer than the
2m receiver state of the art for sensitivity. Of course that makes it
easier to stand strong signals, and adding external broadly tuned
preamps makes it a whole lot more susceptible to out of band strong
signals like pagers and repeaters.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,