[TenTec] SDR-1000

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] SDR-1000
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:06:07 -0400
W9OY:

 >The transmitters are capable of being linked.
What that means is that I can put multiple independent
transmitter outputs that have precisely the same
frequency to an array of antennas that are
independently adjustable.  Imaging feeding 4 antennas
each with full control of phase and power delivered.
In the broadcasting biz we called this a directional
array.  Change the phase/gain on the elements and you
now have a rotating directional array, and not just
rotational in 90 deg quadrants.  Maybe 10,000 isn't
such a steep price after all.

         Lee, I wasn't going to mention this
but since you did, I've got to ask some dumb
questions.

1.  Why would you ever choose 4 separate phase-
controlled TXs instead of simply using one
Comtek 4-square controller costing $350?

2.  Why would you want to run 4 separate
feedlines instead of one to the controller box?

3.  Why would you want to have 4 separate amps at
375 Watts output each instead of one at 1.5 kW?

4.  What would happen to phase coherency
when passed through 4 separate amplifiers
and tank circuits?

5.  Has anyone actually computed cost
comparisons for 4 TX, 4 amps and 4 feedlines
versus 1 TX, 1 amp, 1 feedline and 1 Comtek
controller?

This was what I meant in my previous post about
some of Flex's proposed applications not making sense.
This sounds to me like someone theorizing who has
no idea what they are talking about, and quite
frankly it makes me question the credibility of some
of Flex's other claims.

         Don't get me wrong, I think the SDR-X may
offer some incredible new capabilities, but this
ain't one of them IMHO.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV