Re: [TenTec] SDR-1000 vs Orion vs SDR-X

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SDR-1000 vs Orion vs SDR-X
From: "Jim" <jdunbar28@mchsi.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:14:06 -0500
Bravo to Bill, W4ZV, for providing some insight into the ongoing technology
migration. You are exactly right about the technology ramp up at Warp speed,
and this is very exciting.

Unfortunately, many of the old die hard amateurs do not like to see such a
rapidly evolving technology environment. It scares them.

So, my philosophy, is to not get hung up on the TenTec versus Flex Radio
versus ICOM and now versus the new Yaesu FT-2000 which is also going to be a
fantastic radio.

Just enjoy the ride, and use the rig of your choice, as there are going to
be many choices......

FYI, The new 1500 Watt Solid State Amplifier that has been announced by
Elecraft at Dayton, is probably going to be the first amplifier in the
amateur radio industry that is solid state and runs 1500 watts out. How
revolutionary is the fact to not have to ever buy an expensive pair of
replacement Ceramic Tube finals in the future.

So, between the evolution of the Stepp-IR antennas, the upcoming solid state
autotune amplifiers, and these new family of rigs, is amazing to see.

And finally, for the die hard aluminum antenna guys, the new OptiBeam family
of antennas are amazing. They are built like the old Telrex as far as
structural, however, remind me of Force 12 antennas on Steroids. They have
just announced a 40 meter MOXON antenna that has the same performance as a 2
element 40 meter beam, however, this MOXON antenna can be closed spaced 5 to
8 feet above a multi-band yagi without any interaction.

Lots of great choices.

Should be fun.

Thanks,

Jim