Re: [TenTec] raspy tone with OMNI-6

To: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] raspy tone with OMNI-6
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:47:04 EDT

First thing I recommend id to run a good ground braid from the powersupply
to the radio. I have solved several weird problems with this..

good luck

tom N6AJR

In a message dated 7/22/2006 11:44:52 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net writes:

>  Make sure you have good DC power feed connections.
And good filtering.  Old, dried out electrolytic capacitors can have
lower than rated effective  capacitance, for a while, before they cause a
more catastrophic  failure.
> If the voltage drops
> under key down load, it can  create many odd effects.

If it is a filtering problem  due to not enough capacitance in the power
supply, the peak voltage may  stay the same and the 120 Hz ripple will
get worse during higher current  loading on transmit. Depending upon what
kind of voltmeter you use, you  might not see this as much of a voltage
drop. An oscilloscope would be a  better way to see if this is the
problem. Or just replace the filter  capacitor(s) and see if the problem
goes away.