[TenTec] Being A Contrarian

To: "Ten Tec List" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Being A Contrarian
From: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 15:12:04 -0400
Buck K4IA wrote....

I thought the QST review was fairly negative.  A lot of "damning by  slight
praise."  The overall tone of the review was negative with lots  of side
remarks about shortcomings:

"it does so at the expense of certain features ... amateurs may well  have
come to expect.

"hasn't addressed all the original Orion's shortcomings"

"falls short of the color screen implementations now commonplace  on
competitor's products"

long discussion of a software crash that was fixed with 2.0b6

NR distortion - not as good as the original Orion (gee, where have we heard
that before?)

complaints about the multi-knob to make adjustments

"Unfortunately TT made no effort to improve the band sweep and  metering"
"Sweep has little or no practical value"

"No hint of an ALC function or measurement"

"Auto-notch ineffective under 230 hz"

But if you can make it to the end of the article without writing off the
Orion II, they do conclude "the Orion II's performance will be a dream come
true
for many discriminating radio amateurs."

I thought the RSGB article was a lot more positive.

k4ia
Craig  "Buck"

Sometimes the truth about something can appear to be negative.  It was perhaps
a bit nit-picking when describing the multiknob operation and also commenting
about the ALC function measurement.

However,  I feel it was time someone stepped up and gave the amateur community
a heads up about the very real short comings in the Orion program........
problems of long standing which to this date still have not been addressed.  To
this end I believe the reviewer was dead on with most of his comments both
positive and negative.

On a more positive note,  I am hearing about a new rig called the Omni VII of
which there is apparently a prototype being demonstrated at certain meetings.
The information comes from a fairly reliable source,  but I am still not
totally sure about the existence of this new rig.  Anyone else hear anything
about this?

Toby  W4CAK