[TenTec] Scout

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Scout
From: Russell Smith <n0qlt@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 20:06:39 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I tried to buy one shortly after they were
discontinued (I didn't know they had been axed...), and always wondered about
it.
I intentionally left my email kinda vague to see what plusses and minuses would
pop up-- what strong opinions came to mind from current and former owners..
I wanted to hear it's a great radio but... or I really like this.... and that's
pretty much what I got!

Some comments and answers to a few questions:

1.) There is power at the main mission (well, most of the time-- same with the
water), so a *small* power supply is ok if I could find one.  It's "standard"
(well, maybe)  120VAC/60Hz in Central America.  Probably be fixed station
operation into a dipole on 20m or above.

2.) I tend to operate about 50% CW and 50% other.  SSB capability would be a
requirement, as the folks I would have skeds with aren't much for CW.  That
leaves out my HW-8 (and Elecraft K1 (soon to arrive, I hope!))  Too bad as it
wouldn't sting so bad "losing"  an HW-8 versus the K1 or more expensive radio.
 Might be able to leave the station set up at the mission. haven't investigated
that option, however.

    Time would dictate exactly what would happen operating wise- if I only get
to stay for a week or two, then it may be just a few ssb contacts to check in
with the folks back home.  If I get to stay a few weeks or months, well, all
bets are off-  it could be DX operating frenzy.

3. ) It is quite HOT most of the time (at least to me, anyway).

4.)  I'd prefer to have a little more "cushion" than qrp.  I love working
5watts and below but might need a little more reliability (read- I'm not that
good an op and I have terrible luck- propagation would most likely not be
always in my favor...)  I don't want to carry a brick down there, as I am
already limited on luggage space.

Well it'll be about 9 months before I return, so maybe I'll start saving up and
looking around soon for that elusive Scout...

73,

-HRS

Crux Sancti Patris Benedicti
Dona Nobis Pacem
|====================================================================|
|H. Russell Smith, N0QLT                                             |
|CW/DX/QRP OP-- FISTS# 10503 Flying Pig # 715/Zombie # 819           |
|Pilot-in-training (Still)                                           |
|Strange is our situation here upon the earth.                       |
|Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why,yet sometimes   | |seeming
to define a purpose.                                        |
|- Albert Einstein                                                   |