Re: [TenTec] Yep -- Omni VII

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yep -- Omni VII
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 12:43:13 -0400
I imagine the Omni VII will have a significantly different first local
oscillator
than the Jupiter.  The Jupiter tunes in 2.5 Khz steps with all finer tuning
done in the DSP IF.  That is possible because of the fairly wide IF
bandwidth in the Jupiter (and Pegasus, Argonaut V, etc.).  But when you
put a few hundred hertz filter in the 455 Khz IF, you now have to tune the
first local oscillator in very small steps, probably 1 Hz, certainly no more
than 10Hz or so.

The Omni VII MAY have a slightly stronger front end than the Jupiter.  The
Omni VI uses four J310's in parallel in the RF amp.  The Jupiter uses three.
The Omni VI uses a high level diode balanced mixer, the Jupiter uses two
J310's as I recall.  With their reputation of making very good hardware
designs, and with this being an upscale rig from the Jupiter, I can see Ten
Tec making the RF amp and mixer stronger In the Omni VII than in the
Jupiter.   Hence, Omni VII not Jupiter II.  Just guessing of course!   :-)

If all of the above are done, the Omni VII should be a very good
performance radio.   Here's hoping!

73,

-Lee-
WA3FIY