Re: [TenTec] "End of an Era"

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] "End of an Era"
From: Arthur <isartw@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:55:14 +0300
Grant Youngman wrote:

>I like free stuff, too.   Wonder if it's worth making that argument to my
>Mercedes dealer and see if I can get one for free.

You try to compare apples and oranges. Obviously, you can't insert your
Mersedes into DVD writer and make another copy.

>>wolonteers who developse software for fun.
>>

>I've had the misfortune of downloading and trying to use a variety of "free"
>and "for fun" software.  "Open source" doesn't equate to free.  Red Hat's
>Linux Enterprise is technically "open source".  Last time I looked, it
>wasn't free.  You still get largely what you pay for.  There are exceptions
>to everything, of course.

Red Hat is not only one casiono in the city. There are a lot of free of
charge distributions. On the other hands, since Linux Enterprise is
isued under GPL lincense it can be sold for any amout of money. On the
other hands,  anybody can redistribute it for free of charge witout any
punishment. Otherwise it may violate GPL license.

>An SDR (at least as of this writing) still has a substantial component of
>proprietary hardware associated with it.  You can't ignore that.  You can't
>plug an antenna directly into your "soundcard" yet, either.  No free lunch
>anywhere.

Sure, we can't plug antena directly to soundcard for now. I'm just
trying to figure out how to obtain better rig for lesser money. I do
believe that 4-10k$ is too much for good HF rig nowadays. There are a
number of possible ways how to do it cheaper and better. SDR is one of
possible solution.

Arthur, EW1CK