Re: [TenTec] Computer Control of the Orion

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Computer Control of the Orion
From: "Ron Morell" <ron@morell.us>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:01:41 -0600
Lee,
I will be interested to see this next generation of Flex SDR radio.  Full
QSK is required as well as a great receiver.  It definitely sounds like it
is headed in the right direction.  If a knob is required, a blue tooth
remote control box should be about the right answer for that, or even better
a nice remote joy stick with wheels and buttons, or why can't we just use CW
or voice commands. We really need to get rid of all these wires and cables
strung all over the shack.

N4PY software currently provides for pan adapter tuning, but it sweeps very
slow for a reasonably fine display and is not an analogue type device but a
bar graph simulation similar to the ORION display.  Still it has the pan
adapter tuning and it works pretty well to jump to a signal.  A real
analogue IF derived pan adapter display would be great.

I think the technology to provide these type radios exists and is cheap and
well understood.  So, instead of complaining about the patch for last years
model, I am starting to look forward to the new and improved radio with
hopefully a new set of features and of course all the frustrations that will
come with it.  And of course if I have to get back to basics, I can turn on
the HW-16 and keep on keeping on.
Ron
KA7U