[TenTec] Answer to "which is faster"...fuse or breaker...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Answer to "which is faster"...fuse or breaker...
From: john.brewer@us.schneider-electric.com
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:32:21 -0400
Due to some creative wiring while redoing the shack, I tested (inadvertantly)
the "which is
faster, fuse or breaker" question....twice.

This particular bench has a Astron 20A supply fed into a TenTec breaker (I
forget the number,
but the one spec'd for an Omni VI).  On the downside of the breaker is a small
terminal strip
branch, for small accessories (keyers,  LED lighting, etc.) which is fused at
3A.

I inadvertantly shorted the 3A strip (twice!) and the breaker opened twice,
protecting the gear
AND the 3 amp fuse installed in the low-current 12V branch.

Those magnetic breakers are fast and reliable. They open  up fast enough to
protect a 3A  3AG
fuse from the available current of a crowbarred 20A supply.

John