Re: [TenTec] Cleaning Switches

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Cleaning Switches
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <Mike_N4NT@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 21:36:15 -0400
Further to my reply to Ed, here is what Ten-Tec has recommended in the
past:
For initial contact cleaning, both for switches and potentiometers, use
Cramolin R-5.  For lubrication of the contacts thereafter, use Cramolin
B-5.  The R-5 came in a red can and the B-5, a blue one.  Both these
Cramolins were made by Caig Laboratories.

The following information comes from the Caig Reference OLD to NEW
Products:
http://store.caig.com/app/site/media/sitemedia.nl/id.837/.f

When I spoke with Garland Jenkins about which substitute to use, he
recommended the DN5.  He was VERY SPECIFIC about using DN5 and not D5.
The sprays designated N are marked "Safe for use on plastics," so be
very sure to get the N versions of both ! !

The R-5 cleaner was replaced with Caig DeoxIT  DN5S-6N  5% Spray.
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1982/.f?sc=2&category=188

The B-5 lubricant was replaced with Caig DeoxIT  SHIELD SN5S-6N  5%
Spray.
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2173/.f?sc=2&category=192

When I ordered from Caig, it seemed to me the shipping cost was about as
much as one can of spray.  Getting both at one time would make sense.  A
can of either of these, properly used, should last a young teenaged
technician a lifetime.

73, Mike N4NT