[TenTec] Orion I with new 2.059d

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion I with new 2.059d
From: "Mark DeBord" <markinkpt@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 01:08:53 -0400
I had tried the first couple of V2 firmwares and ended up going back to the
V1.37xxx due to my operating style. I work mostly CW and SSB.

I loaded the new firmware on the Orion I and am glad to see MUCH improvement
over the other V2 code.

I even notice features not mentioned, such as the sweep staying active on
next power up if you were using it prior to power off. I am receiving
unsolicited GREAT audio reports as well so it looks like they have the TX
audio fixed. I also like seeing the handful of new menu selected features
mentioned in other posts. I am also very pleased to see the NOTCH filters
are working again without raspiness.

I am also glad to see stability continues to stay out front on the V2 code;
I have not had this version to crash yet which is VERY important to me.

The main issue with me with this version is the very slight raspiness on RX.
I hear it both on the main receiver as well as the sub-receiver. I am using
the ICOM SP-20 as a speaker and I have also listened through the Ten Tec
speaker. The speaker does make a difference; the bassiness will clear it up
somewhat. I can add more RX EQ (like +10 db) and this will mask it. I can
also play with the filters on the SP-20 speaker and mask it. I too have to
turn the volume way up farther than before and wonder if this is associated
with the raspiness. The more bass I apply, the more I can turn the volume
down and the less the raspinessis apparent; but of course it is almost too
basey.

Interestingly though, I can listen through the headphone jack with my Sony
cans and the raspiness is still there, but not as bad. I can adjust the RX
EQ to about + 6 db and it is masked. Of course, my volume is a little lower.

I also understand everyone is not hearing the raspiness.

Another issue is AM; output is way low. I sent these two issues into dits n
bits.

Again, I am very pleased with everything else and am surprised at how much
improvement this version is (so far).

Mark KA4ICK
Kingsport, TN