[TenTec] V2 Orion SPOT levels

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] V2 Orion SPOT levels
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 09:27:37 -0500
Since this has been raised as an issue I made a comparison between 2.059
(v2) and 2.037 (Orion II) -- CW related.

With NR on, I have to run the AF gain on 2.059 way up on CW.  Listening to
the same signal on both v2/Orion-II radios at the same time, the II AF level
is about 40$% while the v2 AF level is way up -- 80-90% to get the same
output level (with NR on) through the internal speakers.   If you then hit
SPOT on the v2, it busts an eardrum.  Even without NR, SPOT is too hot on
the v2.

SPOT on 2.037  appears to be well balanced with the signal with or without
NR turned on, and the overall signal audio level is not affected on the
Orion II with NR turned on to nearly the same extent.

It sounds to me like there are a couple of things going on in v2.  SPOT is
too hot overall.  And with NR on, the AF level coming out of the signal
chain is low compounding the problem.

Grant/NQ5T