Re: [TenTec] AM Output Level 2.037j

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] AM Output Level 2.037j
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:55:52 -0700
I used it on 75 meters the night before last and got good reports but I did
notice the "upward modulation" effect you saw.  Looking at sine wave on a
regular oscilloscope, it looked like standard 100% AM, but I saw the
wattmeter move up as the modulation increased.  I think I remember this
being detailed somewhere (maybe in Doug Smith's writings) about a DSP AM
design that automatically corrects the carrier level to accommodate the
amount of modulation applied, and I think that design is incorporated in the
Orion firmware.

What I did learn the other night was that you need to cut the bass and
increase the treble to get the AM response flat enough to not sound muddy.

Ron N6AHA