Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 Reflected Power

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 Reflected Power
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:41:00 -0700
It sounds like a couple of things might be going on.  First off, SWR meters
are notoriously inaccurate due to anomalies in their construction, and
calibration.  If there is reflected power on the line, there will be certain
places on the line where the meter will indicate a lower SWR than other
places, so it's possible to see 1:1 on one meter, and 1.5:1 on another. If
adding a few feet of coax changes the readings, that's an indication that
things are not matched.  The best test is to run the system into a dummy
load and they should all read 1:1 if the dummy load is good (don't bet the
farm that it is...I've seen 50 Ohm loads that measure 44 Ohms!).

Adjusting the tuner for lowest screen current isn't necessarily the best
match, but if you're not making 1500 Watts out with about 55 Watts in and
screen current < 30 ma, your finals could be bad, your plate voltage too
low, or something wrong in the input circuit.  The Pi network should match a
fairly wide range of impedance, and should give an efficiency of 65 to 70%
for most combinations of R and X that don't deviate to far away from 50 +j0.

Ron N6AHA