Re: [TenTec] ORion output problem

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORion output problem
From: "Nikolai Kuprin_UA9KM" <ua9km@ongp.ru>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:22:34 +0600
Hello ALL!

This my second message about problems with my O2.

The first was 14.09.06 where it was spoken about "Orion2 Problem with indication of the analog meter" of this device. After several letters through a reflector I have passed to personal correspondence about this problem with Ron N6AHA.

With him we have discussed as one more problem which is in mine O2 and as in other devices.

Ron recommended to execute measurements of outpur power in various modes of the transceiver.

I hope, that from my results you can understand essence of a problem. Especially would like to hear recommendations of company TenTec.

GA, Ron

I have made all measurements which you recommended.

Results of these measurements I bring below.

First, I have made updating a software.(2.037j).

Then I measured power output of the transceiver at various operating
modes. Results of measurements with the external PA and without the
amplifier did not differ the values.

At job in mode CW, RTTY (LSB) and so mode TUNE, indications of the screen
display and my measuring devices were equal, and the analog device of the
transceiver showed a level in 2 times more.

In mode SSB, at a pronunciation long a-a-a-a before a microphone, my
measuring devices showed no more than 8-10 watt of target power of the
transceiver. The screen display of the transceiver showed 25 watt, well
and accordingly analog the device - in 2 times is more.

The transceiver limits the power output. All new opportunities on
adjustments of audio of a signal from a microphone have not helped.
Probably this action ALC.

it may be in RF amplifier(Ron said)

The external PA more than 500 ma did not give out.

( in mode CW, RTTY (LSB) and so mode TUNE, and If at use of my old transceiver TS850, having submitted on an input of the PA of 20-25 watt I had a current of the anode 1A) (UA9KM)

Measurements were made by two measuring instruments of power.

It is E650 HF Power meter from Poland and Wattmeter model 43 Thruline Bird
Electronic corp.

I shall expect your recommendations.

My transceiver already is in Moscow in guarantee repair, in the company where I bought it. But I have not enough hope, that there it will repair.

The problem with an analog meter as has remained!!

73, Nikolai, UA9KM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Vince Santis" <vsantis@earthlink.net>