[TenTec] Orion II RX Distortion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II RX Distortion
From: "Wayne King" <WKING002@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:37:29 -0400
I just got my Orion II and have a problem with it.

FW is 2037j
Orion II is 4 days old.

With factory settings after my Orion has been on for about an hour the
Receive goes into distortion. I can recycle the radio and then I have clear
audio. But after a period of 40 to 60 min without touching  anything on the
rig the audio goes into distortion again. After another re-cycle it behaves
correctly until another 40-60 minutes goes by. I can hear the distortion in
the audio go gradually and then audio is completely distorted and can only
be fixed with the power on/off switch.

I'm thinking the PLL is unlocking but I thought I ask here to see if anyone
has the same symptoms.

Again, I'm not adjusting anything on the radio. The distortion happens on
every band (SSB), Main RX. Here are the filter parameters on the main RX.

Main = LSB
BW= 3000
PBT = +0
Stock SSB Xtal filter.
NB = Off
NR = Off
Notch = Off
AN = Off
BINRX = Off
SUB = Off

I do have the 300/600 CW Filters installed but not selected yet.
I tested the Orion II in TX CW and it also it distorted. I do a re-cycle and
the CW TX clears up.
So what do you folks think?
Thanks and 73,

Wayne N2WK