Re: [TenTec] Omni VI calibration

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI calibration
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:26:47 -0400
> The xtal oven went bad and I sent the O VI into TT to have a TCXO put in,
> and a realignment done.. Now it's about 50hz low.. I can adjust for this,
> but, that just doesn't set right with me.. I'm assuming the problem is
> ageing of the Master Oscillator (TCXO)..

Ten Tec's TCXO is actually quite good.  You may only need to re-adjust it
one last time after initial aging.  I also retrofited mine and its frequrncy
did not vary more than about 10-20 Hz over time.

> My setup is a "Closet Kilowatt", and it's a (PITA) to take apart and
> readjust the MO.. There are some more conveniet and long term options..
>
> 1. Move the TCXO/Xstal Oven outside the cabinet..
> 2. Install a better MO unit..
> 3. GPS timing system..
> 4. Bottom line a remote MO..

I would be apprehensive about moving the TCXO too far from its present
location.  I do not recall the TCXO's frequency, but if it's 10 MHz, you can
use a GPS-locked disciplined oscillator, like the HP Z3801A.

Another option is an ultra-high-stability, low phase-noise OCXO like this
one from Wenzel:

http://www.wenzel.com/catalog/4to24.html#onyx

Either of these options is going to be a bit pricey with the OCXO probably
requiring the least amount of modifying to the rig.

Paul, W9AC