Re: [TenTec] Orion (Original) Battery

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion (Original) Battery
From: Mike Gorniak <mgorniak@genesiswireless.us>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:31:48 -0600
Here's a follow up to the Orion battery issue. My Orion crashed while I
was loading version 2.59. The radio would not boot, nor could I reload
the firmware (any version). Any attempt to do so simply brought up an
error message on the update program saying something to the effect that
there was no communication between the computer and the rig.

A call to Paul Clinton failed to solve the problem. Paul suggested a
Master Reset and a Ram Clear (Some people are calling this a Battery
Reset). Paul also suggested that my serial cable might be defective, or
perhaps I had a computer issue. I doubled checked all of these and Paul
finally said that I'd have to send it back to Ten Tec for repair.

Then, I stumbled on John Fleming's post (W3GQJ) on this reflector. John
said that he had a display problem, and that Ten Tec solved it by
removing and replacing the backup battery. Later, Ten Tec added the "Ram
Clear" function to subsequent versions of the firmware.

It then occurred to me that I had Not done a "Ram Clear" at all. Since
the radio was not booting up, the "Ram Clear" function, which is
executed by the firmware, was not taking place.

I removed the battery for 10 seconds, replaced it, and now all is well.
The problem is completely solved, and I am able to load any 1.xxx or
2.xx version of the firmware at will.

I haven't seen this issue discussed here before, so I hope this
information is helpful to others. A special Thanks to John for saving my
Orion from an unnecessary trip to Dollyland.

73,

Mike
NM7X