Re: [TenTec] A New Orion II owner

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] A New Orion II owner
From: Jeff Sumner <jdos2@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 16:28:19 -0500
"So You've Done & Bought Yourself a New Orion," eh?

I have a document that I used as a crib sheet until I got used to the
radio and could figure out how to make it most useful to me.

I decided that the best way to learn the radio was to learn one
control at a time. I configured the radio as simply as I could, then
started playing with the various modes, then the various filter
settings, then added in the second receiver, the the audio settings,
then the DSP settings (which, like the AGC settings below are very
"other variable dependent," which make them more subtle and powerful
than a first impression might show).

The last thing I tangled was the AGC system. It's both far more and
far <i>less</i> useful than I had originally thought. Lots of words
have been spent explaining how to "best" use it, and really, it's
sometimes set up best as the most unobtrusive as possible.

Basically, the radio for me is all about bandwidth. The AGC is pretty
good up front and the factory settings, though derided in their own
literature, work well enough to get me going. Now, of course, I've
programmed the thing to within an inch of its life, and I do so as I
skip band to band, adjusting for the minimum noise threshold, then
receiver decay values, then a touch of hang, depending on the mode...

Play. Lots of play.

The final thing I've discovered about the radio is what it does so
well must SUCK to sell to people. The radio's receiver is excellent.
How excellent is a matter of difficulty trying to put into words
without using engineering terms. It's far better than anything else
I've ever used, but because of the nature of a great receiver, it's
nearly impossible to demonstrate how good it is because by the very
nature of good filtering, it can be some Real Work to show off.  I
liken it to photography lenses. Leica glass is among the best ever
made for any camera (and the price tag shows it!). Lenses are signal
processors and amplifiers on their own, and some of the discussion
about RF amplifiers can cross over well to the study of photographic
lenses. Leica lenses (modern ones, please!) are known to be accurate,
sharp and quite resistant to flare. The receiver in the Orion is like
that: "lens flare" being the analogue to adjacent channel
interference (think: IMD). Lens flare is subtle in normal scene
photography, it's subtle under normal circumstances on the bands,
too. It's only when the light ratio gets severe, when daylight and
shadow detail are expected to record on film, when 20 meters is open
and there's tons of signals, from those down the street to those
6,000 miles away (LONGPATH)... That's when the receiver shows itself.
Yes, it's the tightest sounding receiver when things aren't so
demanding, the same way smaller pictures taken with excellent show a
clarity and brilliance of color, but it's subtle.

Have fun with your radio. I am with mine.

JD
KC4FOX