[TenTec] Low Wires Contest Club

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Low Wires Contest Club
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 12:26:49 EST

The reason I put this on this list is because of the ruggedness of Ten-Tec
gear under a wide variety of impedance loads.  Please respond if you are
interested.

The purpose for starting this club is to encourage participation  in contests
and competition among contesters with either budget constraints  or covenants
(or even a very fussy XYL) that only allow them to have single  element wire
antennas (definition expanded below).  The proposed club  would enter teams
(probably with no realistic hope of winning) mostly for the  camaraderie, fun
and personal improvement.

I would define a low wire antenna as a single element antenna, with an
average height of no more than 50' and a length no longer than a half wave  at
the
lowest band operated (about 250' for 160M).  The wire can be an L, a  dipole,
a vertical (aluminum okay), a vertical or horizontal loop, an inverted  V,
Windom or any other antenna that meets the single-element and height and
length
limitations  Multiple antennas are ok, no limit per se on the area  the
antennas must occupy.  Antennas can be used on as many bands as  desired.

In that the antennas are pretty basic and low, power categories will
probably be low power and QRP, either SO1R or SO2R, but high power  operators
are
encouraged to join.  At the end of the contest, members  would submit claimed
scores which would be compiled in club email.  Members  would be encouraged to
share information on their antennas, and any other  operating challenges
(stealth appearance, RFI, etc).  Official final scores  would be those
published by
the contest sponsor.

I would hope to find folks around the country and the world that  operate
under these restrictions, and put together national or regional teams if
participation allows.  I think this might be a good way to recognize a lot  of
folks
that otherwise might not receive a lot of attention, and also promote  basic
contest operation and participation.  We might be able to sponsor a  mailing
list with archives, or even a website.

I appreciate your interest and any thoughts and suggestions you might have
regarding this endeavor.  Please reply to me offline.

Paul, K5AF