Re: [TenTec] Corsair II question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II question
From: "J. W. (Dub) Thornton" <dub@oklahoma.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 06:42:00 -0600
Vince:

The Corsair II came from the factory with a one piece jumper (with
two RCA plugs) that
plugged into the key & keyer out jacks, to short them together, which
is necessary to
operate in CW mode.

You are plugged into the keyer paddle jack, which is correct to use
the internal keyer.

To use an external keyer, plug it into the key jack, which is not
possible without removing
the jumper between the key and keyer out jacks.  Remove the top
cover, and solder a wire
jumper between the key and keyer out jacks.  This is ONLY for using
the Corsair II without
an amplifier.  I do not own an amp, & my Corsair has been jumpered
internally since I bought
it new in 1987, per instructions from Ten Tec.

The markings on front panel may be a bit confusing as to QSK.  The
Corsair II is always in
QSK mode when running CW, your only choices are fast or slow
QSK.  VOX mode is for SSB only.

"73"  Dub

At 09:38 AM 11/18/2006, you wrote:
>On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 08:48 -0500, Vince Santis wrote:
> > Good morning,
> >
> > I'm trying to get a newly acquired Corsair II on cw. I can't get my
> > paddles to close the T/R switch. The radio works fine on SSB. I'm in the
> > paddles jack, keyer speed is up, and the mode is set for cw. What am I
> > missing?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Vince Santis, N1VS
> > Winsted, CT 06098
>
>For certain Keyer Out must be connected to Key with a jumper, short or
>long. RCA to RCA. A new Corsair II came with a very short jumper. It can
>be feet long, probably should be shielded. Then my manual is not clear,
>I suspect you need to ground PTT or to enable VOX to transmit on CW. And
>to decide on QSK or not to QSK.
>--
>73, Jerry, K0CQ,
>All content copyright Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer

J. W.  (Dub) Thornton  K5DUB
Minco, OK.