[TenTec] Heil Mic Wiring to Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Heil Mic Wiring to Orion
From: <k8jdc@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:35:50 -0500
Well, after the first few responses last night, I went ahead and modified
the Heil setup to match the Tentec manual.  It was not what I would call
simple.  I had to modify (1) the internal mic wiring, (2) the connector
wiring at the mic end, and (3) the connector wiring at the Orion end.  The
Heil cable did not use the two wires inside of the shield for the "+" and
"-" audio signals, but rather it left one of those two shielded wires
unterminated and used the shield for the "-" side.  It took a solid 2 hours
of work.  I ended up using the two shielded wires for the "+" and "-"
signals and used the shield (connected to the Orion's connector shell) as
chassis ground and PTT return as the manual shows.

FWIW, it seemed to sound fine after I finished modifying the wiring.  I
worked 9J2VB in Zambia on 40m phone last night with the Orion/AL-80B at 1 KW
using a simple low-hanging dipole.  He said I sounded good (and I didn't
ask).

Thanks to all for the suggestions, which virtually all said "change the
wiring to match the manual".

73,
Dave / K8JDC