Re: [TenTec] Orion, not noisy

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion, not noisy
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:45:57 -1000
Hi all,

What Sinisa is describing is the noise that will come out the audio
output of the receiver when a termination is connected to the antenna
jack. When we're really using the receiver, in addition to all of that
is the noise picked up by the antenna. On the lower bands the noise
picked up by the antenna will almost always be the dominant noise, being
way, way above the thermal noise and the excess noise of the receiver.
Only in a really poor receiver (with a very high noise figure) or a very
inefficient antenna system would the receiver noise be anywhere near the
antenna noise. As we move up to higher frequencies terrestrial noise
gets lower and the receiver thermal noise and excess noise become a
greater proportion of the total noise.

With an antenna connected, output noise can be represented as:

  output noise = gain * (noise from antenna + thermal noise + excess noise)

and on the lower bands with a fairly efficient antenna and any decent receiver
we can almost ignore the thermal noise + excess noise and be pretty accurate
saying:

  output noise = gain * noise from antenna

One could argue that everything coming from the antenna is a signal. It is NOT
receiver noise, so it is not part of the receiver noise figure.
As we try to improve the desired signal to undesired signal ratio we sometimes
use very inefficient receiving antennas, and the contribution from thermal
noise and excess noise may again become significant.

Ken N6KB