Re: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 22:20:59 -0500
Grant,

I should be much more careful in defining my terms.  That way I would be
less likely to make confusing remarks !

When you say that bandwidth reduction (by whatever means) is a true form of
noise reduction, I must agree.

If you say that automatically reducing bandwidth, using some sort of digital
processing is a true form of noise reduction, I must again agree.

When I was talking about DSP, I was talking about a form of noise reduction
that cannot also be accomplished by analog means.  In other words, bandwidth
reduction can be accomplished (and often has been accomplished) by using a
set of band pass filters.  No processing needed or wanted.  You can do this
with a computer too, but it is not what I call DSP.

In the context of this discussion, I have been referring to processes that
occur by manipulating the digitized signal in such a way the the unwanted
content - INSIDE the pass band - is deleted, while the remaining content
inside the pass band is allowed to remain.

That said, I am no wiser about what Ten Tec does.  We have not heard from
them.  I understand that you say that at least a part of what they do is to
narrow the bandwidth.  That is fine and good.  What else do they do ?  That
I don't know.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ