[TenTec] Help Understanding the Herc II Overdrive Light

Subject: [TenTec] Help Understanding the Herc II Overdrive Light
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 02:16:31 -0500
Just put the station back together in time for the start of the 10m
contest.  I've run into a couple of quirks with HERC II that I  had
forgotten about.  I am baffled by the Overdrive light and bar graph.

Overdrive:
With power set at '49', the peaks out of the amp are ~360 watts on on RF
Applications VFD digital watt meter.  That's approximately where the
overdrive light goes on.  The signal doesn't seem tp be distorted -- at
least it doesn't sound that way on the monitor and I've had no reports.

Bar Graph:
I realize it's impossible to compare the VFD when operating SSB.  Key
down (TUNE and CW), the bar graph shows far more power than the VFD
does.  Any way to calibrate or reset or correlate the bar graph?

Thanks + 73,
Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC