Re: [TenTec] No more need

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] No more need
From: "John Heacock" <johnheacock@sc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 22:04:37 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: tentec-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces@contesting.com]
> On Behalf Of Charles Delaune
<snip>
>...WHERE'S THE CHALLENGE???

I believe the challenge is where it has always been. Contact more, contact
better, contact further, operate the best you can, make the equipment work
as good as you can, put up wall paper, chew the fat with friends both near
and far, and close down the station for the day with the knowledge that you
did the very best you could with the equipment you have.

Since the only thing constant is change, and we can not change that, we
might as well take some of these folks who are going to "flood our hobby"
under our wing and make them the best they can be. Expose them to as much of
the hobby we can and teach them the best way to operate both in person and
on the air, by example. Maybe, just maybe, they will become better operators
than they would otherwise become. They might even be encouraged to have
satisfaction in our hobby and take pride in it and its traditions like we
do. Some will even learn the code.

Like most things, the way it will fall out is not going to be as bad as it
sounds from these posts, and it probably will not be as good as I would like
to see. One thing for sure; if we sit and gripe and complain and do nothing
to change the situation with the new hams, it will be closer to the bad than
the good. So, get busy teaching the new folks how to do it right!

The lack of a CW requirement is a fact and we need to do what we can to lead
the new people in the hobby in the right direction.

John, In South Carolina -- K9BB