Re: [TenTec] Orion 1 & 2 "Talk Power" problem

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 1 & 2 "Talk Power" problem
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:12:14 -0800
That is a dramatic difference between the v 1 and v 2, and the numbers you
report on v 2 are in line with what I see here.

I checked the O2 against the TS870 and saw average outputs on the O2
(barefoot) of 5-10 Watts with no SP and 10-12 Watts with SP at 7.  The TS870
showed 10-20 Watts with no SP and 20-30 with compression and ALC in normal
ranges.

I looked over that article by Dough Smith and it looks like there is a dual
ALC system.  I doubt very much that all of the digital part of the system
could have been completely taken out, but it certainly possible that is has
been simplified or that the parameters have been set differently.  What may
be needed is for the analog ALC to be driven harder.

      Ron N6IE
 www.N6IE.com
(Formerly N6AHA)