[TenTec] Orion 1

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion 1
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:09:00 -0500

K8DO:
>  Do we walk around with a DSP and a speaker for having a
conversation with our friends, spouse, boss, so that our voice is loud?

        The issue is not loudness...that can be done simply
by increasing your AF Gain control.  The issue is communications
intelligibility.  And yes, I can think of many situations where I
would like much better intelligibility in everyday conversation.
It's surprising every now and then to watch a DVD or hear a radio
broadcast where communications intelligibility is simply atrocious.
Many times I have tweaked my car radio's equalizer in an attempt
to improve speech intelligibility to the point I could understand
it.  It's surprising how many people in the communications business
do not understand this issue.  Bob Heil has made a fortune taking
advantage of that fact.

73, Bill W4ZV