Re: [TenTec] Radio Control/Contesting??

To: John Vickers <wa4tt@nlamerica.com>,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Radio Control/Contesting??
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 18:57:09 -1000
Did the original Omni VI have DSP? I thought that the DSP was added with
one of the options???. The Omni VI DSP is done in the audio, only for
receive, not at a 15 kHz or other low IF. Some complain that the DSP
causes distortion, all the time, even when you aren't using it, because
the audio goes through the DSP system even when it is turned off. I do
not have that complaint about mine.

I do not believe that the option 3 filter board is available. I'd like
to be wrong about that, as I have an option 2 Omni I'd like to have one
more 9 MHz IF filter slot in.

The Omni VI+ is pretty much the same as the Omni VI version 3, as far as
functionality. It came that way from the factory, says OmniVI + on the
front panel, and has more SMT parts on some boards. Some Version 3
upgraded Omni VI may also have SMT parts on some boards too. I am not
sure about this detail.

None of the Omni VI rigs have dual receivers, they all have virtual dual
VFOs. (like most rigs that claim to have dual VFOs, it can just switch
between two VFO memories, and uses the same VFO whether you are on the A
or B virtual VFO) They also do not have general coverage, ham bands
only. I use a Paragon to fill in the spectrum coverage gaps.

The Omni VI version 3 I own is the best rig I have ever owned. It
handles close in strong signals in a contest crowded band better than
any rig I've owned, and better than any I have tried. It's QSK is the
best I have experienced, which includes a lot of rigs I have not owned.
I haven't owned that many rigs though. My main rig before the Omni VI
was a Kenwood TS-440SAT which is not really a top of the line rig.

DE N6KB