Re: [TenTec] ALC action on Orion

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ALC action on Orion
From: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 08:44:43 -0500
The ALC control on the Orion works by reducing the drive to maintain the
desired output.  This means that when you set ALC to 50 watts, the drive is
cut in half.  This also means that you may not have to reduce mic gain at
all when you go from 100 watts to 50 watts.  Notice I said might.  You
should always check to make sure the ALC light is just flickering on voice
peaks and never on solid.

So, assume you are running with no amplifier on SSB at 100 watts.  You turn
on your amplifier, go to CW mode, and set your power level to provide the
correct drive for your amplifier.  You find this setting is 50 watts output
for the ALC control.  Now without changing your mic gain, you speak normally
just to make sure you don't have to change your mic gain.  I find even when
I go down to 5 watts to drive my 6 meter transverter, I don't have to change
the mic gain setting from the 100 watt level, just the power output ALC
control.

So the bottom line is because the ALC works by reducing drive to the final
stages, the mic gain can be usually be left in the same position all the
time for a given mic.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Drive
Bell Mountain