Re: [TenTec] Code Speed

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Code Speed
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:02:04 -0600
WHile this isn't specifically TenTec, I can't resist.

I have to ask: did any of you learn anything about operations during
WW II? In particular, Army company or battalion command posts must've
been involved in two-way CW comms. And, in doing so, they and the
enemy must've run across each other. I'm sure they didn't have
careful band plans so as to avoid each other. In any event, any idea
what happened when one side heard the other? Did the one not actively
communicating harass the other, or would they QSY in some
pre-arranged fashion? I've always been curious about this...

No, I was never in the military, though my Dad was. I've forgotten
what they called it, but he was in the Army Air Force's equivalent of
the Signal Corps and operated a LORAN slave station on Padre Is.,
training (it turns out) B-29 crews for missions to Japan.

Yes, I used to engage in CW traffic nets as a kid and I loved it. CW
traffic nets were truly well-oiled machines. I was even a NCS a
couple of times for a regional net. Alas, CW nets have gone the way
of the dodo, it seems.

Please feel free to reply off-list.

Kim Elmore, N5OP