Re: [TenTec] QSK - was Omni VI vs Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QSK - was Omni VI vs Orion
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:23:51 -0600
On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 14:46 -0800, Dennis OConnor wrote:
> Good stuff Martin.. Most informative... When I get some time I will put the
> Hewlett Packard scope on the O2 and see what I see...
>   I understand with DSP rigs why there will be an initial delay from the time
> that an RF impulse is applied to the antenna input until audio output
> occurs...  All this processing overhead affects how fast the rig can turn
> around on qsk...  TT seems to feel the Orion will hold up at 30 wpm...  I am
> hearing signals at 30 wpm with the O2 but as I commented I do not know how
> much they are truncated - though it is still useful as I can tell what
> activity is happening... Your work seems to suggest quite a bit of
> truncation...
>
>   There is a Tom who was quite vociferous about the QSK timing problems with
> the Omni series... Since I have one of those I was going to cobble up a quick
> n dirty analog transmitter / receiver and see what the fastest clean QSK
> could be had with starting and stopping single oscillator chains... Haven't
> had time to follow up on that yet...

Chirp city. Time delays worse the higher the oscillator tuned circuit Q,
worst with a crystal. Vintage rigs like the Viking Ranger had a
sequential keying scheme that held the PA off while the VFO or crystal
chirped but claimed QSK with the receiver on a separate antenna.

Mixer transmitters keying the MIXER get truly rapid keying without that
chirp problem.

>   denny

73, Jerry, K0CQ