[TenTec] Omni VI Keyer Control Mod

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Keyer Control Mod
From: John Huffman <hjohnc@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:31:54 -0500
Last week I asked about any thoughts on how to spread out the keyer speeds on
the control of the Omni VI internal keyer.  In the end I bought a 5-turn 10K
pot.  It arrived today.

To make the swap you first have to remove the old pot.  This means
disassembling
the front panel to some extent.  You do have to take off all the knobs (.05"
hex
key for the small ones) so that you can get to the secondary panel to loosen
the
nut holding the keyer speed pot.

The hole on the secondary panel has to be enlarged to 3/8" to accommodate the
new control.  Watch the shavings as you drill to keep them out of the good
stuff.  After removing the old pot, the new pot fits nicely.  The pots I bought
have three connections - #1 gets the brown wire, #2 gets the white wire, and #3
gets the purple wire.  The terminals are marked on the body of the control and
are not in order.

After attaching the wires, I re-assembled all that I had disassembled and was
back in business.

Now a full turn of the control is roughly 15 - 28 wpm.  Of course, it still
goes
down to 10 and up to 60 by turning all 5 times.

As it worked out, I set 20 wpm at the pointer's 12 o'clock position on one of
the turns.  Now each mark on the panel is 1 wpm.  Sure easy to set speed.

The only downside is that the shaft of the new control is about half as big
around as the 1/4" shaft of the old one.  The old knob works fine, but its
turns
are not concentric.  A shim would fix this.

I have three controls left and one is spoken for.  If anyone else wants one
they
cost $3.95 plus postage.  Or, you can buy them from Electronix Express
directly,
but they have a $20 minimum.  If you want one of mine, just drop me an email
and
we can figure out the best way to send it.

73 de K1ESE
John