Re: [TenTec] Orion RF issue

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion RF issue
From: "Natan Huffman" <W6XR@Frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:10:19 -0500
Thanks for the thoughts, however:

1/      The voltage at the rear panel of the Orion is 13.8 VDC under full
load and the supply is good for at least 70 amps.

2/      The white out does not happen when transmitting, at the same power
level, into a dummy load nor do I see the problem on any band but on 80
meters.  Therefore, I doubt I'm dealing with a power supply deficiency.

Concerning the practice of grounding the shack and the tower together,
that?s probably a good subject for the Tower Talk Reflector.  Having just
moved from a hilltop QTH with 2 100' towers and a 1/4 wave vertical on 160 I
have some experience with lightning strikes including over 13 years at least
50 direct hits.  Working closely with the Polyphaser folks I put in an
elaborate system that only allowed one rotor cable lightning induced
failure.  The tower had 4 ground rods at the base and four 120' long buried
#0 bare wire with a ground rod every 10 feet.  The base of the tower had the
obligatory gap arrestors for each feed line and control line.  The house had
a entrance panel on an aluminum machined blank with the shield of the N and
UHF SO239 connectors at ground potential as the panel had its own 2 ground
rods.  This ground was tied into the tower (and its grounding system) by the
shield of every coaxial cable and a parallel run of #0 cable.

The entrance panel had a ground bus shared with the two "house" ground rods
thereby tying it all together.  Now I've duplicated this arrangement at the
new QTH and keep in mind lightning is going to seek out the lowest impedance
to ground. I'll bet my shack the grounding system under the tower is the
path a discharge might follow!

If you would like to discuss the grounding issue as it pertains to lightning
protection, please E-mail me direct at W6XR@Frontiernet.net.

Thanks everyone,

Natan W6XR