Re: [TenTec] Orion/O2 Drift Problem-who is interested in a fix?

To: <bjw@byron.com>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion/O2 Drift Problem-who is interested in a fix?
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:17:40 -0800
Actually, most transverters use the heterodyne principle to move frequencies
up or down, so the local oscillator in the transverter is the critical
frequency determining element.  Still, 20 Hz off can make otherwise
good-sounding SSB audio (and the Orions are definitely capable of ESSB
quality audio with nothing more than a good mike like a Gold Line or PR-40!)
sound a bit "off".

Almost every night, I get on an informal, fast-break 'round-table' net on
3740 kHz with up to 10 stations using VOX or fast PTT.  Anyone off frequency
stands out like a sore thumb and is politely asked to move onto the right
frequency.  Nobody transmits for more than 5 seconds without listening for
comments or interjections, which is why we call it "The Short Attention Span
Radio Network"!

      Ron N6IE
 www.N6IE.com
(Formerly N6AHA)