Re: [TenTec] Heil headset for Orion II

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Heil headset for Orion II
From: "Gary Strong" <gjstrong@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 12:55:38 -0600
As everyone has said, the Yaesu cable works but does not ground the unit per
Ten Tec specs.  Yausu connects both ptt ground and mic ground together, so 3
wires are used from rig end of connector to mic end.  Ten tec specs that the
ptt ground is separate from the mic ground, AND that the ptt ground is used
for the shell of the microphone.

Heil makes this mod available in their Yaesu cables, however up until last
week they were doing the mod incorrectly.  They were tying the mic
ground/shield to the mic shell.  While most hams would never notice the
difference, I live by a very strong AM radio station.  Hence, I had AM radio
in my SSB audio (see my earlier post on this).

I took the mic end apart and disconnected the mic ground and re-connected
the ptt ground to the mic shell and everything now works great.  I called
Heil on Friday and they basically said OOPs!  They are now going to change
their cables to match the correct Orion II wiring.

Hope this all makes sense, and if not I'd be glad to explain further.

Gary
KO0Q