Re: [TenTec] ARRL

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ARRL
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:53:26 -0800
On an engineering note, I don't need to bash the other manufacturers
with sarcasm regarding their engineering talent.  Last time I was at
Ten Tec, the engineers there had nothing but respect for the Japanese
engineers and their designs (as do I).  Its just at Ten Tec  they are
also proud of the well made tradeoffs they've designed into their rigs
(better to serve many of us who have matching requirements).  They
don't need for the other guys to be bad for them to be good.  Not a
zero sum game.  Not for the Ten Tec guys I spoke to.

Just a comment.  Being an engineer, I suppose I appreciate all the
different designs, even those that meet other's requirements and not
mine.  Of course, I most appreciate the designs that really hit home
with what I want.  My Ten Tec is front and center.  But my friend's
7800 is a fine radio for what he needs and though I might not trade for
it, I respect it a whole lot.

For what it's worth.

Clark
WA3JPG

> My QST just came... They are reviewing the IC-7800 again...
>   Seems Icom discovered roofing filters and improved it's unbeatable,
> ne plus ultra, high dollar, ultimate, radio by adding a roofing
> filter...    Those japanese engineers are so clever...  My, my, what
> will they think of next...  Must be something in the sushi....

Clark Savage Turner, J.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science
Cal Poly State University
San Luis Obispo, CA. 93407