Re: [TenTec] Commercial CW License

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Commercial CW License
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 23:05:45 -0600
On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 21:20 -0700, Hank Alvestad wrote:
> I've held an FCC commercial RT-1 license since 1981 (RT-2 before
> that); sailed on US-flag freighters as deep-sea R/O 1977-1987 (all
> oceans.)  Back then, the requirements to sit for the license exam
> were: (1) a minimum of one year as an RT-2 (2nd class) holder, (2)
> then a minimum of 6 months service at sea (not calendar time - actual
> 6 months service as shipboard R/O), (3) then two CW exams - 5 minutes
> of coded groups at 20 WPM, followed by 5 minutes of plain English text
> at 25 WPM.

When I took the 2nd exam in 1958, there was only one receiving test, the
examiner's choice of 16 code groups or 20 plain language. Because of the
16 code groups they didn't allow credit for the Am Extra, but noted I
had better pass the Extra CW test, which I did.

> There was also a CW sending exam.  After you passed these
> requirements, you had to pass the written exam.  The rate of pay back
> then made it worth the effort - not just "exclusive wall paper."  RT-1
> was only required to serve as Chief R/O on certain vessels required by
> international law to carry more than one R/O.  I don't think any more
> of those are in service, under US flag.  For most US merchant ships,
> RT-2 is sufficient.  These days, a GMDSS ticket is also required for
> the person serving as Electronics Officer.
>
> Additional current references, for those interested in sea-going
> electronics work:
>
> arawet@earthlink.net   (see ads in various issues of QEX Magazine)
>
> http://www.elkinsmarine.com/index.html
>
> Just FYI.
> Hank, K2XJ

There is some military shipping with civilian radio officers
occasionally, I hear from KC0MZ who has made those trips.

73, Jerry, K0CQ