Re: [TenTec] Omni VI- PBT jumping after warm up.

To: geraldj@storm.weather.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>,k8vf_mark@centurytel.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI- PBT jumping after warm up.
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:00:05 -1000
Jerry's technique is valid, however for this particular problem you can
limit your search to a much smaller area than the entire radio.

As you have already said (sort of) D5 in the VCXO circuit on the
PASSBAND TUNING BOARD is the component which is supposed to shift the
frequency of the VCXO, and the voltage that biases D5 is likely
shifting. I would focus my attention on the PBT potentiometer, wiring
and connectors (connector 42) and perhaps monitor the +REG voltage
supplied to this board on connector 39. It is also possible that the
voltage control to D5 is not at fault, and some other component or
connection in or around the VCXO is flakey.

The fault is almost certainly on the passband tuning board. Since this
VCXO feeds nothing outside the passband tuning board, the only likely
off board causes would be wiring/connectors to the PBT potentiometer, or
the power supplies to the board.

DE N6KB