[TenTec] Primarilly an introduction

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Primarilly an introduction
From: David Chernenkoff <d_chernenkoff@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:59:32 +0000
Hey folks,        I'm new around here and I'm new to ten tec equipment.  The
names David (VE6NHZ) and I'm a newer ham only having been licenced about 18
months now.  I do have my advanced ticket and because of that an older Ham gave
me as a gift a Ten Tec Triton IV with matching power supply (252m).  They've
both been hanger queens for many years and as a result they're in great
cosmetic shape but pretty poor shape electrically.    I've got the power supply
up and working with a Yaesu 2800m, and it works fine for the most part but the
voltage is a little high (~14.5) and I'm getting reports of hum,  So I'm
thinking that the caps have dried out....I'm gonna poke around in their in a
few days but for now that's my thoughts.  Any advice would be appreciated.
And the Triton IV is the other project, I opened it up and poked around and it
/looked/ fine, but looks aren't everything.  I don't have a mike for it (I'll
have to find one compatible and make the appropriate adapters) b
 ut I fully intend to work CW with it as I hear it's a phenominal cw
tranceiver.  It needs the PTO rebuild and the string indicator seems to have
slipped (I'm not sure if thats part of the pto rebuild or not)
Questions:            -How difficult is it to overhaul this tranceiver? On the
surface it seems relitivly straightforward (assuming murphey doesn't get his
grubby little paws in there) but am I underestimating this?            -I was
told by the guy at ten tec that the service and operators manuals were one and
the same, he seemed kindve grumpy so I didn't ask but what does he mean by
that? Is the required service information (calibration, allignment, test point
levels etc.) all in the operators manual, or is it just an operators manual
with schematics?Thanks for the information folks and I'll be around the list,
I've found so much good information here in the past, thank you, I only hope
that I can help somehow :)-David(VE6NHZ)